Disability and Disaster News
REAADI & DRMA Introduction:
Press Release from Senator Casey (D-PA):
Press Release from Congressman Langevin (D-RI):
Press Release from Congressman Smith (R-NJ):
Press Release from Congresswoman Shalala (D-FL):
- NCD: Preserving Our Freedom: Ending Institutionalization of People with Disabilities During and After Disasters.
2019 Partnership Newsletters
Get REAADI for real inclusive emergency management!
TODAY, June 10: 2pm ET - Online Press Conference Celebrating the Introduction of REAADI & DRMA!
The Partnership cordially invites you to celebrate with us in an online press conference for the introduction of the Real Emergency Access for Aging and Disability Inclusion for Disasters Act (REAADI) and the Disaster Relief Medicaid Act (DRMA) in both the Senate and the House of Representatives!
- Senator Bob Casey (PA) will introduce REAADI -S.1755- in the Senate with cosponsors Jones (AL), Blumenthal (CT), Duckworth (IL), Harris (CA), Hassan (NH) and Gillibrand (NY).
- Senator Casey will introduce DRMA -S.1754- in the Senate with cosponsors Brown (OH), Blumenthal (CT), Gillibrand (NY) and Harris (CA).
- REAADI will be introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. James Langevin (D-RI) and Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ)
- DRMA will be introduced in the House by Rep. Donna Shalala (FL).
REAADI and DRMA are the first disaster bills to prioritize the rights of people with disabilities and older adults developed with direct input from the disability community!
When: Today, Monday June 10 at 2pm EDT
Join the Press Conference:
- Zoom Webinar (including online captioning): https://zoom.us/j/446067519
Zoom by Phone: 646-876-9923 Pin: 446 067 519
or 669-900-6833 Pin: 446 067 519
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisasterREAADI/
- Note: Previously, we sent out a youtube link, however, during testing we encountered technical difficulties. To view video, please go to the Zoom link or Facebook link, posted above.
Welcome and housekeeping
- Valerie Novack, Portlight Fellow, Center for American Progress
Background and Opening Statement
- Marcie Roth, CEO, Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies
- Representative Donna Shalala, who is the Lead Sponsor of DRMA in the US House of Representatives
- Statements from Senator Casey (PA) and Congressman Langevin (RI)
- Kelly Buckland, Executive Director, National Council on Independent Living
- Rebecca Cokley, Center for American Progress
- Helena Berger, President and CEO, American Association of People with Disabilities
- Susan Prokop, Co-Chair Emergency Management Task Force, Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities & National Advocacy Director, Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Diane Yentel, Executive Director, National Low Income Housing Coalition
- Norman Smith, Chair, New Jersey State Independent Living Council
- Carole Salas Pagan, Director, Puerto Rico University Center on Developmental Disabilities
- Germán Parodi, Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies & PA ADAPT
- Stephanie Hydal, Portlight Fellow at the National Council on Independent Living and Media Lead for REAADI and DRMA
Partnership in the News
- People with Disabilities Often Face ‘Institutionalization’ During Disasters
- Federal report highlights trend of involuntary institutionalization during and after disasters
- Disabled Students Are Left Behind In School Shooting Responses
- Disability Rights Advocates Work For Inclusion In Disaster Planning Process
- Disaster, Displacement and Disability Forum - Remarks from Marcie Roth
- The Storm After the Storm- Disaster, Displacement and Disability Following Hurricane Florence
- How to Prepare for an Earthquake If You Have a Disability
- Getting It Wrong: An Indictment with a Blueprint for Getting It Right - Disability Rights, Obligations and Responsibilities Before, During and After Disasters
- As Floods Push Homes Higher, the Disabled Risk Being Pushed Out
- USA: Recent disasters trigger complaints from disability groups
- During a Hurricane, People with Disabilities Fail to Find Equal Access to Emergency Programs
- As disasters strike, advocates worry FEMA policy changes put disability community at risk
- After Harvey, questions remain about whether registry helped people with disabilities
- Left behind: Is PCC prepared to evacuate disabled students?
- A resilient community is one that includes and protects everyone
- Lisa Herron reimagines a more inclusive emergency management system
- Disability and Disaster Response in The Age of Climate Change
- Support People with Disabilities Facing Harvey
- This nonprofit equips people with disabilities with the tools needed for a hurricane like Irma
- Nursing Homes and Emergency Preparedness
- Why evacuating is a bigger hurdle for the poor, elderly and disabled ahead of major disasters
- 5 years after Sandy, this woman still worries about being left behind because of her disability
- Disability Inclusion in Climate-Related Disaster Preparation
Sep 21, 2018, 9:44 PM
In 2007, the US Department of Justice instructed state and local governments in their ADA Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Governments, Chapter 7 that “The ADA requires people with disabilities to be accommodated in the most integrated…
Media Advocacy Alert: Join The Partnership in Responding to the Preventable Deaths of Windy Newton and Nicolette Green.
Sep 20, 2018, 11:33 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies team is reeling from the news of the deaths of Windy Newton and Nicolette Green, two women with mental health disabilities, who died while being evacuated by the Horry County Sheriff’s Office in South…
Aug 13, 2018, 3:14 PM
Dear Secretary Nielsen The Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) is the largest coalition of national organizations working together to advocate for Federal public policy that ensures the self-determination, independence, empowerment,…
Jul 22, 2018, 8:27 PM
Beyond the Rhetoric – Making it Real Integrating Disability Into Emergency Management – A Blueprint to Saving Lives in the Community: 2018 Annual Conference on Independent Living National Council on Independent Living (NCIL) July 22, 2018, 2:00 -…
May 24, 2018, 6:11 PM
Getting It Wrong: An Indictment with a Blueprint for Getting It Right Disability Rights, Obligations and Responsibilities Before, During and After Disasters Edition 1; May 2018 This After Action Report is an unvarnished account of the devastation…
Jan 23, 2018, 6:04 PM
The focus of Getting it Right is on expanding our shared commitment to achieving and maintaining disability inclusive whole community emergency preparedness, community resilience, response, recovery and mitigation before, during and after disasters.
Dec 12, 2017, 6:23 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies (the Partnership) and Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies (Portlight) have continued our active support for disaster impacted individuals and communities throughout the catastrophic storms and…
Sep 30, 2017, 3:38 PM
We Need Your Continued Support! Greetings to our friends, supporters and everyone impacted by hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria over the past 33 days.
Sep 6, 2017, 8:18 PM
Thanks to your generous support over the past ten days, Portlight Strategies and the Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies have assisted thousands of hurricane Harvey survivors with disabilities, their families and good people trying to help…
Aug 28, 2017, 2:54 PM
Hurricane Harvey has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but has stalled over the Metro Houston area, bringing as much as 23 inches of rain in the 24 hour period between early evening Saturday and early Sunday evening.
Oct 28, 2016, 4:42 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies, a clearinghouse for information and a community organizing resource on the needs of people with disabilities within disaster planning, has been announced.
Oct 26, 2016, 12:22 PM
NOW is the time to prepare east coasters! Check your emergency kit supplies. Full your car with gas. Make sure you enough food and water to last you and your family for 3 days. Figure out where you will go if you need to evacuate and leave early.…