Disability and Disaster News
2019 Partnership Newsletters
Get REAADI for real inclusive emergency management!
Join the Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies and our national partners for an online press conference celebrating the introduction of the Real Emergency Access for Aging and Disability Inclusion in Disasters Act (REAADI) and the Disaster Relief Medicaid Act (DRM).
REAADI and DRM are the first disaster bills developed with direct input from the disability community!
These bills address gaps in assuring the rights of people with disabilities and older adults for equal access to all planning, response and recovery resources and driving change towards improved readiness and disaster resilience for the whole community.
Sign up for updates on the bills, the press conference, opportunities to get involved and more!
Partnership in the News
- Disability Rights Advocates Work For Inclusion In Disaster Planning Process
- Disaster, Displacement and Disability Forum - Remarks from Marcie Roth
- The Storm After the Storm- Disaster, Displacement and Disability Following Hurricane Florence
- How to Prepare for an Earthquake If You Have a Disability
- Getting It Wrong: An Indictment with a Blueprint for Getting It Right - Disability Rights, Obligations and Responsibilities Before, During and After Disasters
- As Floods Push Homes Higher, the Disabled Risk Being Pushed Out
- USA: Recent disasters trigger complaints from disability groups
- During a Hurricane, People with Disabilities Fail to Find Equal Access to Emergency Programs
- As disasters strike, advocates worry FEMA policy changes put disability community at risk
- After Harvey, questions remain about whether registry helped people with disabilities
- Left behind: Is PCC prepared to evacuate disabled students?
- A resilient community is one that includes and protects everyone
- Lisa Herron reimagines a more inclusive emergency management system
- Disability and Disaster Response in The Age of Climate Change
- Support People with Disabilities Facing Harvey
- This nonprofit equips people with disabilities with the tools needed for a hurricane like Irma
- Nursing Homes and Emergency Preparedness
- Why evacuating is a bigger hurdle for the poor, elderly and disabled ahead of major disasters
- 5 years after Sandy, this woman still worries about being left behind because of her disability
- Disability Inclusion in Climate-Related Disaster Preparation
Sep 21, 2018, 9:44 PM
In 2007, the US Department of Justice instructed state and local governments in their ADA Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Governments, Chapter 7 that “The ADA requires people with disabilities to be accommodated in the most integrated…
Media Advocacy Alert: Join The Partnership in Responding to the Preventable Deaths of Windy Newton and Nicolette Green.
Sep 20, 2018, 11:33 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies team is reeling from the news of the deaths of Windy Newton and Nicolette Green, two women with mental health disabilities, who died while being evacuated by the Horry County Sheriff’s Office in South…
Aug 13, 2018, 3:14 PM
Dear Secretary Nielsen The Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) is the largest coalition of national organizations working together to advocate for Federal public policy that ensures the self-determination, independence, empowerment,…
Jul 22, 2018, 8:27 PM
Beyond the Rhetoric – Making it Real Integrating Disability Into Emergency Management – A Blueprint to Saving Lives in the Community: 2018 Annual Conference on Independent Living National Council on Independent Living (NCIL) July 22, 2018, 2:00 -…
May 24, 2018, 6:11 PM
Getting It Wrong: An Indictment with a Blueprint for Getting It Right Disability Rights, Obligations and Responsibilities Before, During and After Disasters Edition 1; May 2018 This After Action Report is an unvarnished account of the devastation…
Jan 23, 2018, 6:04 PM
The focus of Getting it Right is on expanding our shared commitment to achieving and maintaining disability inclusive whole community emergency preparedness, community resilience, response, recovery and mitigation before, during and after disasters.
Dec 12, 2017, 6:23 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies (the Partnership) and Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies (Portlight) have continued our active support for disaster impacted individuals and communities throughout the catastrophic storms and…
Sep 30, 2017, 3:38 PM
We Need Your Continued Support! Greetings to our friends, supporters and everyone impacted by hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria over the past 33 days.
Sep 6, 2017, 8:18 PM
Thanks to your generous support over the past ten days, Portlight Strategies and the Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies have assisted thousands of hurricane Harvey survivors with disabilities, their families and good people trying to help…
Aug 28, 2017, 2:54 PM
Hurricane Harvey has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but has stalled over the Metro Houston area, bringing as much as 23 inches of rain in the 24 hour period between early evening Saturday and early Sunday evening.
Oct 28, 2016, 4:42 PM
The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies, a clearinghouse for information and a community organizing resource on the needs of people with disabilities within disaster planning, has been announced.
Oct 26, 2016, 12:22 PM
NOW is the time to prepare east coasters! Check your emergency kit supplies. Full your car with gas. Make sure you enough food and water to last you and your family for 3 days. Figure out where you will go if you need to evacuate and leave early.…